Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Hello, Hello, Is this thing on?

Most people start off with their first post as a hello or welcome message. Welcome. Hello.

Ok, enough of that, you didn't come here for me to say hello to you. You came here because you go lost somewhere and stumbled upon this post. No problem, I'll take 'em any way I can get 'em.

I enjoy sharing my knowledge that I've learned over the past 10+ years of being in IT and the 6+ years of working with virtualization. I started out on Windows 2000 in the enterprise, worked a little on upgrading NT4 to 2000. I've worked with DOS and Windows 3.0 and up, but I really got into the enterprise in the Windows 2000 days. Since then I have touched many pieces of the Enterprise IT Infrastructure from AD\DNS\DHCP to AV to Backups to Storage to Servers to Networking to Patches to some off-the-wall applications. I used to be a "Jack of all trades, master of none." I started to focus in on a specific technology when I learned Citrix Metaframe (aka Winframe, Metaframe Presentation Server, Presentation Server, XenApp, I think Citrix's product has had more names than Prince). I worked with Citrix WinMetaPresentationApp for a few years and got certified and deployed it and managed it in large environments and then this really cool technology came out called virtualization. VMware GSX.

After that I started learning this new cool technology and started focusing in on that and became entrenched in it and started to specialize in it. I'm glad I did because it has got to be one of the most disruptive technologies in IT. I really don't think that there would be this high pressure on Intel and AMD to up their core counts so much if it weren't for virtualization. Now I am slowly starting to learn Hyper-V because the company I work for is now supporting Hyper-V in its products.

It is really funny thinking about this because in the old days before my time there were these things called mainframes that worked in a way that you had the main processing done on a main centralized computer and then you had dummy terminals. These main computers also did this fancy thing called virtualization (vpars) where you split up the whole computer into different segments to perform different tasks. Its weird how things come full circle. We go from a mainframe central computer with dummy terminals that does virtualization to the server\desktop model and back to the central computer with dummy terminals running on virtualization. The only difference is now we are doing it on commodity x86. Now with cloud it has taken that same concept to a whole new level.

I am going to try and write in here as much as I can, at least once a week if not more. The point of this is to share my knowledge and little tidbits that I come across in my day to day adventures. Most of the stuff will be around virtualization and backup, but I may come across a great nugget that pertains to something else. I will also talk about some great products that I find as well. I am a manufacturers best friend because if I find something good I am going to talk about, I've had people ask me before if I work for that company or if I am getting kickbacks from that company. No, I just enjoy sharing my knowledge and when I find something that makes my life easier it will probably make someone else's life easier.
I am going to bid you adieu and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment